Young Adult Carers are young people aged 18-24 who have taken on a caring role for a family member due to disability, mental ill health, substance misuse or another long term illness.
Some young carers, as they grow up, move on from their caring role, however you may be a young person who has grown up always caring for somebody and has now taken on more responsibility for caring and supporting them, your caring role has increased now you are a young adult. Or you may be a young adult who has, because of sudden family illness become a carer.   
If you're aged between 18 and 24, and caring for a family member you'll probably be juggling education, employment, training and your social life alongside your caring responsibilities. Getting the right information about what support is available for you and the person you care for is vital to ensuring that you are able to have a life outside of caring.

Types of caring
  • Practical care such as feeding, washing and moving and handling
  • Handling medication, arranging and attending medical appointments
  • House hold chores such as cooking and cleaning
  • Looking after younger brothers and sisters
  • Handling money and household bills
  • Providing a huge amount of emotional support.
Your Rights

If you are aged 18 and over, have left school and carrying out a caring role for a family member you have the right to ask for an Adult Carers Support Plan.
This support plan will detail the extent of how much you are able and willing to provide care, what help and support you need in order to carry on caring, have a life outside of caring and to look at your own health and wellbeing.
Your support plan will also provide you with information about what is available locally for you and the person you care for.
To request a carer support plan or do find out more information about how this can help you please contact our support line: 01463 723560 or email

Studying and Caring

There are many young adult carers who care for a family member and continue to study at college or university. It may be that you stay at home whilst studying, study distance learning, or be living in student accommodation but still go home regularly to care for a family member.
If you are caring whilst studying please get in touch with your student support service and let them know about your caring situation. They will be able to advise you in regards to balancing your caring and academic studies, support you with deadlines, inform your lecturers if you wish about your circumstances, provide information about student finance and other hardship funding.

Universities and Colleges can now achieve an award recognising the support they provide to student carers. Find out if your University is listed: or here for Colleges :  

Funding Support

Get in touch with Connecting Young Carers if you would like to talk to a member of the team about the various funding opportunities available to young adult carers that can help you meet the cost of  
  • A break for you with or without the person you care for
  • Items for the home including cookers, fridges, beds, washing machines etc.
  • Driving lessons and other travel costs relating to your caring role
  • Courses and materials to develop your skills and personal development
  • Home repairs
  • Short term or time limited replacement care